How walking benefits your Health……..
Getting out into nature.
It’s that time of the year when its dark in the morning and evenings, maybe not the most inspiring time to get out walking but the benefits of walking in general outweigh the darkness by actually helping to stimulate the mind from getting the early morning light and fresh air……
Weight Bearing Exercise
Walking is a weight bearing exercise that helps with numerous things including helping to keep the mind in the present moment and all of these physical benefits listed below……..
- increased cardiovascular and pulmonary (heart and lung) fitness
- reduced risk of heart disease and stroke
- improved management of conditions such as hypertension (high blood pressure), high cholesterol, joint and muscular pain or stiffness, and diabetes
- stronger bones and improved balance
- increased muscle strength and endurance
- reduced body fat.
If you have a dog then you will already know how easy it is to take yourself off for a walk in all weathers but alternatively why not start a walking group with friends or relatives
Look within your community and see if they have a ramblers group or organized walks, its a great way to meet new people and get fit in the process.
Here is the link to our local ramblers website in Newark if you are interested https://www.ramblers.org.uk/newark
LEAVING THE CAR AT HOME
Other ways to get walking are :-
- Taking the stairs instead of the lift.
- Leaving the car at home and walking to your destination.
- Taking the neighbour dog for a walk
- Getting off the bus a few stops early and walking the rest of the way home.
Why not use a tracker?
‘Fit bit motivates you to reach your health and fitness goals by tracking your activity, exercise, sleep, weight and more.’
I absolutely love my fit bit and can 100% recommend using one, there are alternatives to buy from the apple watch to a simple tracker but I have recently purchased a versa fit bit and its just fantastic, it gives me all the daily stats and keeps me on target.
Get started now……
So it my be the eve of Christmas but don’t delay get out over the festive season and kick start your walking and fitness plan and see the results well before Spring and reap the health benefits for life…..